Saturday, May 9, 2015

Day 104: Bhlarna agus Corcaigh

I finally finished my Ireland checklist today! I kissed the Blarney stone and made it to Cork!

I took a guided day trip to Blarney, Cork, and Cashel. With Blarney being our first stop it made getting up early and sitting on a bus for a couple hours well worth it. The castle grounds were full of cute little gardens and blooming flowers all over the place.  At the top of the castle, you were able to see the whole grounds and of course where you kiss the stone. The best part of kissing the stone though is that you have to lie on your back and lean down the edge of the castle to kiss the underside of the stone.
me kissing the stone

one of the gardens

view of Blarney Castle

After kissing the stone, I went on a walk through the gardens and found the wishing steps. This is a small stone staircase that if you walked backwards up the stairs then down with your eyes closed then whatever you wished for would come true. The catch though is that it can take up to a year for that wish to come true. I did the steps the correct way, but while doing it I couldn't think of anything but not tripping over the stairs or hitting myself on the rock overhang.
walking up the stairs backwards

We then took the short drive down to Cork for lunch and a little look around the city. The one main thing that I wanted to do was visit the old market there. It was this old brick building hidden off a side road and full of little shops selling fruits, vegetables, meat, chocolate, and bread. I found this bakery stand and bought some amazing sourdough bread. For lunch, I went to a local café and bought a sandwich and some local chips.


Our last stop of the day was Cashel to visit the Rock of Cashel. Since I already went there with my family I spent that time just walking around the town and window shopping in the local stores. It was a great end of the day to just relax in a small town and go shopping. 

No comments:

Post a Comment